Tunheim recognizes that we all have a role to play in dismantling the systems that contribute to racism and oppression in our communities. In solidarity with our Black neighbors, it is within this spirit that Tunheim is proud to officially recognize Juneteenth as a company holiday and beginning next year our offices will be closed in observance of the date. We will also be making an annual contribution to a local Black-led organization, starting this year with the Northside Achievement Zone.
We have compiled some resources that our team plans to utilize in observance of Juneteenth that we wanted to share – we invite you to join us in taking the time to reflect, learn, and honor the day.
What to Read:
What to Watch:
- The Coming of Freedom: Celebrating Juneteenth (Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture)
- 13th (Ava DuVernay’s documentary, available on Netflix, explores the 13th Amendment and traces the rise of American mass incarceration in the 20th century)
- I Am Not Your Negro (Samuel L. Jackson’s narration of James Baldwin’s works, including televised appearances and footage of the Civil Rights Movements)
What to Listen To:
Where to Celebrate:
Other Ways to Support:
- Amplify Black Voices – 9 Powerful Black Female Voices to Follow on Instagram to Be Better Allies and Proactively Anti-Racist
- Support Black-Owned Businesses – Where to Support Black-Owned Businesses in the Twin Cities (MSP Mag)
- Support the NAACP Legal Defense Fund by buying music – Bandcamp Directing Profits to NAACP Legal Defense Fund