Social Trends in 2018: Content Formatting
Social media is transforming the communications business. Companies large and small are investing heavily in social platforms and content curation as the industry keeps a close eye on the emerging trends that have the potential to change the landscape completely. Here at Tunheim, we are doing the same. We believe digital strategy and social know-how require up-to-date knowledge of the evolving trends that are constantly changing the digital world. In this short series we have captured some of the simple, yet influential social trends that your business should be implementing in 2018.
In this article, we take a look at how social media and digital strategy are transforming content formatting on social platforms.
- Authenticity: Millennials in particular are focused on authenticity. Authentic, real content is easier to engage with and relate to. In 2018, this will manifest in the form of more live video coverage to demonstrate and sell products. Showcasing real people discussing actual services and products is more compelling and interesting for people to view. Offering an unfiltered look, Q & A sessions and product demonstrations can create a sense of thought leadership and industry expertise for your fans.
- Augmented Reality: 2016 and 2017 were the years of augmented reality, most notably the rise of filters on Snapchat selfies and the Pokemon Go phenomenon. Social media users are becoming more interested and engaged in content that can bend reality and create a connection with your brand. Facebook and Instagram have already started experimenting with AI filters for their live video options. 2018 will continue to see an increase in social filters, and implementing a geo-filter can be a great marketing tool for your business. Utilize these Snapchat filters or interact with the new Facebook and Instagram options as they are developed. Capitalize on Pokemon Go type programs to engage with your customer base and showcase your involvement in pop culture.
- Advertising: As Facebook evolves over time, it has moved towards becoming an advertising platform. The amount of content on social platforms has grown exponentially, and it has become necessary to put money behind the content that is most important for your business. Even $20 can make a difference and reach an audience that you may not have had access to before. Investing in your content is necessary to reach the people who are most interested in what you have to say. In the second half of the year, test different boosted or online ad options to showcase your content and don’t be afraid to promote the great things your business is doing.
- Virtual Reality?: We have all heard of the virtual reality craze sweeping the digital world. But investing in such a leap can be challenging or nearly impossible for small to mid-size businesses. Virtual reality is coming, but now is the time to invest in a less costly, easier version on your social platforms. 360 photos and videos are more cost effective and can still make your fans feel like they are living within your brand. Content is still king and interactive video and photography will capture the attention and engagement of the audiences you care about.
- Purchasing: Competitive mobile advertising has taken social media platforms by storm in 2017 and will continue to do so in the new year. Platforms like Instagram and Facebook are including instant purchase links that make it faster and easier to shop via social. This year, consider offering your product through social media platforms and include a direct purchase button to increase sales and visibility.
Social media offers a whole new medium to reach and engage with your most important stakeholders. Content formatting is transforming and these simple changes can make a big difference for your organization or brand. Invest in simple innovations for your business to ensure you are taking advantage of all that social media has to offer. Interested in learning about other social trends that are transforming industry landscape? Check out the two other articles in this series; Social Trends in 2018: Thought Leadership and Social Trends in 2018: Communication Changes to learn more.