Tunheim is seeking a dynamic, flexible individual who thrives at the intersection of politics, media and advocacy to lead our public affairs team.
- Lead, design, manage and implement public affairs, issues management and advocacy campaigns on behalf of corporate, nonprofit and trade association clients.
- Lead teams and manage budgets, workflow and project team members.
- Prospect and lead public affairs new business development for the firm.
- Develop and nurture relationships with clients, prospective clients and critical stakeholders.
- Serve as senior counsel on public affairs issues to both clients and within the firm.
- Serve as the lead on client crises.
- Oversee the strategy and implementation of Tunheim’s growth in public affairs within the broader context of the firm.
- Track legislative and/or other policy issues in Minnesota, regionally and nationally.
- Represent Tunheim at industry events.
- Develop, execute and/or oversee multi-media communications, public affairs and grassroots campaigns.
- Serve as an expert locally and regionally to position Tunheim’s public affairs expertise in the marketplace.
- Serve as a coach/supervisor for Tunheim staff – both through the work we do and by modeling our cultural attributes.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required and demonstrated success in public affairs, issues advocacy, media relations and/or legislative affairs and a minimum of ten years of related experience.
- Demonstrated success in explaining complex positions and issues to a broad spectrum of individuals.
- Experience and proven success in managing large teams and budgets.
- Demonstrated success in public affairs campaigns or electoral politics.
- Experience in cultivating new business is highly desired, but not required.
- Superior writing ability.
- Experience pitching the media and cultivating relationships with the media.
- Solid grasp of digital platforms and tools and experience using them for advocacy.
- An ability to understand complex regulatory and legislative issues and procedures.
- Relevant experience outside of Minnesota and/or in the Upper Midwest is valued.
Other Requirements and Attributes:
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines while demonstrating professionalism under pressure.
- Proven ability to multi-task and think critically to solve problems on the fly.
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment.
Tunheim is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note “Director of Public Affairs” in the subject line of your email. Relocation is not provided.