Public Affairs Senior Consultant
Tunheim is Hiring!
Named “Small Employer of the Year” in 2017 by the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce, for more than 27 years Tunheim has built a reputation as a consultancy that helps clients navigate complex change. Designed around the fundamental belief that successful organizations take responsibility for being understood, we help our clients rethink how they work and how they communicate to effectively engage with their most important stakeholders. We tackle our clients’ toughest challenges with a collective approach – a belief that no one individual is as good as the company’s “collective best.”
We are currently seeking a dynamic, flexible individual who thrives at the intersection of politics, media and advocacy to serve as a senior member of our growing public affairs team.
Our collaborative approach extends throughout our organization. From our open office design to lunch-time gab sessions to late afternoon co-working pods, our team enjoys being together and celebrates the fresh thinking that colleagues can bring to solving the challenge of the day.
- Lead client teams and manage client budgets, workflow and project team members
- Serve as the primary client contact for the firm’s largest accounts
- Prospect, develop and secure new business for the firm
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with high-level state officials and critical stakeholders
- Act as the senior resource on public affairs issues to both clients and within the firm
- Track legislative and/or other policy issues in Minnesota, regionally and nationally
- Develop, execute and/or oversee multi-media communications, public affairs and grassroots campaigns
- Serve as an expert locally and regionally to position Tunheim’s public affairs expertise in the marketplace
- Serve as a coach/mentor for Tunheim staff
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required and demonstrated success in public affairs, issues advocacy, media relations and/or legislative affairs and a minimum of ten years of related experience
- Demonstrated success in explaining complex positions and issues to a broad spectrum of individuals
- Experience and proven success in managing large teams and budgets
- Demonstrated success in public affairs campaigns or electoral politics
- Experience in cultivating new business is highly desired, but not required
- Superior writing ability
- Experience pitching the media and cultivating relationships with the media
- Solid grasp of digital platforms and tools
- An ability to understand complex regulatory and legislative issues and procedures
- Relevant experience outside of Minnesota and/or in the Upper Midwest is valued
Other Requirements and Attributes:
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
- Expert verbal and written communication skills
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet deadlines while demonstrating professionalism under pressure
- Proven ability to multi-task and think critically to solve problems on the fly
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment
Tunheim is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note “Public Affairs Senior Consultant Application” in the subject line of your email. Relocation is not provided.